Flower Power

Flowers are so much a part of the earths natural beauty....we as gardeners are the "monets" of our own invourment ...we have the creative power to paint our own personal space by using our knowledge of gardening......so join me and let's share some ideas and get started on our journey into the wonderful world of everything from gardening to throwing some great southern parties..........Southern Soup is for anyone ........throw in some travel, great food, wildlife, and some Southen Style and the sky is the limit.....Welcome



Thursday, October 6, 2011

"SOUTHERN SAYINGS"



"The South Is Where My Heart Is" 
Since I  was born and raised in the south, "Southern Sayings" are something I grew up with.....When I use some of these sayings, usually I  don't even realize that I do it.....Just last night I was talking to my daughter about something and I began to notice some of the southern sayings she used as she was so intensely describing her day ......... She was saying things like "THAT DON'T MEAN A HILL OF BEANS" and "HE TALKED MY EAR OFF".....when she was finished talking, I asked her if, in fact, she realized that she had used those particular "southern sayings."  When she looked at me funny,  I reminded her of a few of the one's that I noticed .."That don't mean a hill of beans" and "He talked my ear off".....she said "Did I really say that?" I asked her if she even knew what they meant...she said, "well no".....and with disbelief she wondered why she even said those things...........lol........


 As we both literally cracked up, I decided that a few times a week I was going to post  a new "Southern Saying".........When most of these sayings are used, us southerner's don't even bat an eye......I will be listening for them as I converse with all my southern friends and family ......Not only do we use these metaphors,  but the style with which we use them is priceless.....You have the good ole' southern boy sayings  like, "Till the cow's come home" or "Hold on to ya britches" and then there is the true Southern Belle sayings .............Southern Belle's were known as the more elite women of the south and developed their own sugary way of purring their words as if they were dripping with southern molasses....lol........like "I  doooooooo declare shuugah"  and always asking someone "well honey, "how is yor mamma"? ........or  "Ya'll come back now,  ya here".....One style is as funny as the other...So every few days I plan to share  a "Southern Saying" for you to enjoy, if you are from the south,  then I'm sure you will recognize most of them.....NOW YOU BE SURE AND CHECK BACK WITH ME YA HEAR...................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Southern Rains

Southern Rains
amazing color on a cloud filled day

Rain Drops are falling on my head

Rain Drops are falling on my head
A beautiful rose soaking up some raindrops

red pentas

red pentas
little red stars huddled together

black-eyed susans

black-eyed susans
a ray of sun on a cloudy day

angel wing begonias

angel wing begonias
thank heaven for a good summer rain